All NewsNature Camp Foundation News

John Brooks Curry II, 1944 – 2015

   The Honorable John Brooks Curry II, 70, of Waynesboro, Virginia, passed away unexpectedly at his home on Sunday, February 1, 2015. The son of the late John Brooks and Ruth (Phillips) Curry, he was born in Waynesboro, Virginia on April 1, 1944. Curry dedicated his life to community service, including serving as former President of the Waynesboro Rotary Club, as well as a board member of the Wayne Theater Alliance, the SPCA, and the Salvation Army. He was also involved in Renewing Homes of Greater Augusta, the Boys and Girls Club, CASA, the YMCA, the Big Brothers/Big Sisters Program, and was a member of the Stonewall Jackson Boy Scout Council. In addition, Curry served as former President of the Bridgewater College Alumni Association.

   He is survived by his wife, Theresa Elizabeth Curry of Waynesboro and three daughters; Jennifer Curry Hollar, esq., of Raleigh, North Carolina; Amanda Brooks Curry Graziano and husband, John, of Richmond, Rachael Curry Neckowitz, and husband, Aaron, of Staunton.

J   ohn’s daughters, Rachael Curry Neckowitz and Amanda Curry Graziano, both attended camp for many years, and it was part of the family’s summer ritual that they would each leave for two weeks. “Dad had such a love of nature,” Amanda said, “and was thrilled when his daughters took interest in attending nature camp. Every summer he helped pack up our trunks and drive us to Vesuvius for our two-week home away from home.”

   Amanda recalled that her father was a friend of Colonel Reeves from working in the courts of Lexington. “He seemed to think this gave him permission to bend the rules a bit. No parents were allowed to call or visit the campers while they attended, although an abundance of notes and care packages were welcomed. However, every session that I attended, he would show up one day in his old blue jeep just to say hi. My friends and I welcomed these impromptu visits!” Several years later when Rachael attended camp, she was counting on a similar visit from her father. She was terribly homesick. “I knew dad was coming to visit so I had my bags packed and ready to go,” she said. “When he arrived, I told him I was leaving with him and he said no I wasn’t. I cried and cried and begged and begged and he still said no. He left and I think I was probably in shock that he didn’t take me with him. (Looking back, I’m not sure how he left me there – he was so tender hearted!) I ended up staying the remaining part of the two weeks and having a great time. I attended for seven more years and he never came to visit again.

   In early summer or fall when the girls were not attending camp, their family made many trips to the familiar countryside to hike Table Rocks or St. Mary’s Falls. John continued to support Nature Camp foundation by attending fundraisers and donating yearly to the camp. His love of nature lives on in his daughters and grandchildren who he hoped will also attend one day.